2015 Year in Review: The Cool, The Beautiful & The Intelligent2015 Year in Review: The Cool, The Beautiful & The Intelligent https://www.legalcomplex.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/AI-1920x1080-10-1024x576.jpg 1024 576 Raymond Blijd https://secure.gravatar.com/avatar/b2107c5e41052042419dccfe176bcf5a?s=96&d=mm&r=g
2015 was quite an eventful year in legal tech. Here’s my shortlist in random order:
- Apparently AI is the new Black. ‘Hire Peter’ earn an astonishing 755 votes on ProductHunt;
- But Big Data has all grown up and will electrify the legal sector;
- In September 2015, we surpassed 1000 legal startups on Angel.co;
But 2015 is also the year legal startup growth stalled:
- In October, I didn’t de-dup startups tagged as both legal tech and legal so the real numbers aren’t that spectacular.
- In 2014 (337), we had a 56% increase compared to 2013 (215). 2015 is just 2% (349)
- Yet, tagged as Legal Tech (139) almost doubled compared to last year (78)
I made a breakdown of types of legal startups registered in December 2015 on Angel.co and it seems that:
- 18 startups aimed to sustain or support lawyers (or simply be law firms in disguise);
- While only 1 replaced lawyers with tech at the point of need;
- But Angel.co isn’t the only place to hunt legal startups. Mattermark.com (paid) of CB Insights (paid), or Dealroom.co (freemium) are also excellent sources;
- Heck, there even is a dedicated legal startup tracker called LawHackers.co;
- And I also discovered that there are about 946 in the US while roughly 1405 legal startups come from outside The States (Source: Mattermark.com, Dec. 9, 2015);
- I was also happy to see a cool tax startup make it on ProductHunt;
And now for the moment you all have been waiting for: Legalcomplex awards for the coolest, the most beautiful and the most intelligent legal tech of 2015…envelope please…
I feel this is the beginning of something epic for the internet and the law.
Honorable mention: Machine Learning
I was smitten by the use of gif’s to convey the beauty in legal.
Honorable mention: ZocDoc
I see brilliance in its simplicity and power of its potential.
? ? ?
Disclosure: This review was compiled based on my 2015 stats from Twitter, Linkedin, Pinterest, My Blog, Medium etc so it’s completely bias and non-scientific.?